Twitter has finally turned off all basic authentication and gone over to using oauth. I knew this was coming, I had no excuse to wait to upgrade various Twitter scripts used by MMISoftware, and also the plugins on the range of blogs we host, but I did. So, what did I learn?
This was an interesting project that I was involved with towards the end of 2008…
Interesting comment over at http://wordpress.org (WordPress is the software that powers this blog). Have they let the ‘cat out of the bag’ (pardon the bun as this may be Mac OS X Leopard related) over a new feature in a ‘yet to be releases’ Safari, or is there a feature in Safari I am not aware of?
A quick post about the blog… As you can see, the blog has undergone an update, and there are two major changes.
I have now taken to blogging using Textmate – why? Well, it has got some great features and I am finding it faster to blog with Textmate than with Ecto. Blogging with Textmate is not for the timid – but if you code and like using a text editor it is the way to go. And, I am particularly enjoying using Markdown.
One thing I was finding frustrating was that Textmate would only return (fetch) the last 20 posts and there was no way to go back and find old posts for cleaning up and editing (which is what we needed to do over at thesnowsite blog). However…
In a recent post (see Site upgrade) I talked about upgrading the blogging software on the server to WordPress version 2. Well, bad news, WordPress version 2 breaks Ecto and causes it to hang when trying to retrieve the categories for blog posts.
The other day I posted about the amount of spam the MMISoftware blog was getting (see Spam, spam, spam) and how we had finally got around to upgrading WordPress (the software that ‘powers’ the blog) to the new version and activated the anti-spam plugin.
Unbelievable! The MMISoftware blog was spammed to death…. there were so many comments submitted and awaiting moderation, that it was impossible to access the WordPress management system for the site to clear all the spam! There was a backlog of over 25,000 messages.